Up until 1845, only around 30 people lived in Silkeborg, but following the opening of the paper mill the population increased, prompting the need for a church. After 20 years in the building, the church was finished in 1877.
The beautiful alterpiece is made of gold-plated wood. The motif is Christ on the cross, flanked by the Virgin Mary and John the Apostle. At the bottom, there is a frieze with the 12 Apostles surrounding Jesus as saviour and judge in the middle.
The beautiful stained glass windows in the apse depict “the Good Shepherd” and “the Sower”. Note also the fine organ facade from 1943, bearing the coat of arms of the then king.
The church’s carillon consists of 49 bells and plays every day at 8 am, 12 noon, 2 pm, 4 pm and 6 pm.