The private residence of bank manager Arnold Knap was designed by the architect Anton Rosen and built in 1920/21.
It was an extremely well-presented, three-storey villa with a total area of 140 m².
In 1956, the status of the house underwent a radical change, as it went from being a private residence to a maternity clinic. Nurse Maren K. Rasmussen took over the villa during the summer and set up the Midtjysk Fødeklinik (central Jutland maternity clinic), where many a Silkeborg resident came into this world between 1956 and 1979.
The clinic closed in 1979 and Maren K. Rasmussen lived in the house until the summer of 1982, when it was taken over by six people who set up a commune. It remained as a commune until 1994.
At the end of 1994, Silkeborg Municipality purchased the house. It was then modernised and converted into the premises of Silkeborg Tourist Office. The doors were opened to the public on 10 May 1996.
In October 2012, Turism Silkeborg, Erhverv Silkeborg (Business Silkeborg), Handel Silkeborg (Trade Silkeborg) and the secretariat of the Riverboat Jazz Festival moved to the Old Town Hall on Torvet.