When the Romanesque Vium church was first built in granite ashlar in c. 1150, it had a flat roof and no tower. The tower and arches were added in c. 1450.
Steen Steensen Blicher was born at the rectory in Vium on 11 October 1782. His father, Niels Blicher, was the minister here from 1779 to 1795. Objects that existed in Blicher’s day include the altarpiece from 1652, bearing the names and coats of arms of Jørgen Marsvin and Anne Helvig Gyldenstierne. The church also houses some special baroque frescoes from the late 16th century.